The British Business Bank are a government-owned business development bank dedicated to making finance markets work better for smaller businesses.
Our aim is to make finance markets work better for small businesses in the UK at all stages of their development: starting up, scaling up and staying ahead.
Our programmes are designed to bring benefits to smaller businesses that are start-ups, high growth, or simply viable but underfunded. We have a commercial arm, British Business Investments Ltd, which makes investments into providers of finance to smaller businesses in the UK.
- We will increase the supply of finance available to smaller businesses where markets don't work well.
- We will create a more diverse and vibrant finance market for smaller businesses, with a greater choice of options and providers.
- We will encourage and enable SMEs to seek the finance best suited to their needs.
- We will achieve this whilst managing taxpayer resources efficiently and within a robust risk management framework.
- We will identify and help to reduce imbalances in access to finance for smaller businesses across the UK.
- We will be the centre of expertise on smaller business finance in the UK, providing advice and support to Government.
The British Business Bank is 100% Government owned, but independently managed. It brings expertise and Government money to the smaller business finance markets. We don't lend or invest directly. Instead we work with over 100 partners such as banks, leasing companies, venture capital funds and web-based platforms.
Businesses apply for finance through our partners who, because they work with us, can lend and invest more, especially to younger and faster growing companies.
In total we work through more than 100 finance partners in the market, and we will unlock up to £10 billion of new finance and bring greater choice and information on finance options to smaller businesses.
More details on what we do can be found:here
We are also pleased to launch our new online Information Hub, an interactive website that offers independent information on finance options for scale-up, high growth and potential high growth businesses. To visit the hub:click here