Published: January 4th, 2021
Businesses in Herefordshire, Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin were today urged to take action to comply with new rules which have come into force following the end of the Brexit transition period.
The UK has left the EU customs union and single market and following the signing of the UK-EU Free Trade Agreement which see the introduction of a zero tariffs, zero quotas relationship with the EU as an independent trading nation.
However, there are new rules which came into force on January 1 2021 which businesses need to comply with. The Government is warning that businesses which don’t take action could risk interruption to their operations.
The below documents detail actions businesses must take to ensure they are compliant with the new rules which have come into force.
- Top five actions for businesses in each of the following sectors: Aerospace, automotive, chemicals, construction, consumer goods, electronics and machinery, life sciences, metals and materials, professional business services and retail.
You should visit gov.uk/transition where you can use the checker tool to quickly identify the actions that your business needs to take.
The checker tool will ask you questions about your business and provide all the information you need to be aware of such as new rules on:
- Importing and Exporting
- Moving goods to and from Northern Ireland including Trader Support Service
- Travelling abroad for work
- Hiring staff from the EU
You can help prepare your businesses for the new rules by using a number of support mechanisms provided by the Government:
- Sign up to receive updates on the specific actions you need to take once you’ve used the checker tool at gov.uk/transition
- Sign up to receive the regular Business Readiness Transition Bulletin – an email newsletter providing information on major announcements and recently published guidance
- BEIS Webinars across a range of topics will be available on gov.uk in January 2021. They will provide specific advice on how businesses can ensure they comply with the new rules.
We understand that this is a challenging time and encourage you to take action to avoid interruption to your business operations.
Information will also be provided in the Marches Growth Hub newsletter and you can sign up to receive this here.