Now is the time to check your professional qualifications, says Business Secretary

Now is the time to check your professional qualifications, says Business Secretary
Save this page for reference and share it with your colleagues

Published: March 10th, 2021

Professionals from across the Marches should make sure their business qualifications are fully recognised as a result of the UK’s exit from the EU, the Business Secretary has said.

Kwasi Kwarteng Kwasi Kwarteng says that although people are unlikely to be travelling to the Europe for business at the moment, it is a good time to make preparations for when travel will be possible.

“I appreciate that you are unlikely to be travelling under the current restrictions, but to prepare yourself for selling services to the EU you may need to get your professional qualifications recognised and you will also need to be aware of changes relating to business travel.

“This preparation is critical to making sure that you can get the best from our new status as an independent trading nation.”

Mr Kwarteng said that new rules on business travel meant if you are planning to travel to the EEA or Switzerland for work or business purposes in the future, you should:

  • Check whether you need to apply for a visa, work permit or other documentation.
  • Check the relevant country’s websites for details on application requirements and processing times if you need to make an application, and apply sufficiently in advance of travel. If in doubt you should apply as far in advance as possible.

If you wish to practise a regulated profession in the EEA or Switzerland and have not yet had your professional qualifications recognised in the EEA or Switzerland, you should:

  • Check the European Commission’s Regulated Professions Database to find out if your profession is regulated where you intend to work.
  • Contact the single point of contact for the country in which you intend to work to find out how to get your professional qualification recognised there.
  • If you or your staff members work in a UK regulated profession using professional qualifications obtained in the EEA or Switzerland, you will need to seek recognition from the appropriate regulator in the UK. You can find details of the appropriate regulator from the UK Centre for Professional Qualifications (UK CPQ, formerly UK NARIC).

Business travel and mutual recognition of qualifications are both topics explained in the new on demand videos which focus on priority topics for businesses. You can also download a step-by-step guide on how to navigate the new rules on business travel to the EU.

More help is also available through the Government’s business support helpline on 0800 998 1098.

Share this content:

Contact us about Now is the time to check your professional qualifications, says Business Secretary

  • You won't receive lots of emails, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
  • By submitting my details, I consent for Marches Growth Hub to process my data for the purposes described in the Privacy Policy.



01432 383343


01743 250526

Telford & Wrekin

01952 567589

or email us direct

[email protected]