Published: April 24th, 2019
A free HR workshop being staged in Telford is promising to help small companies manage their staff more effectively – and stay the right side of the law.
The HR Essentials event is being staged by the Marches Growth Hub Telford & Wrekin and HR expert Niamh Kelly, to bring small businesses in the borough up to speed with everything they need to know about employment law.
The May 7 half-day event is being targeted at SMEs to ensure they get the HR support they need and do not inadvertently fall foul of employment law.
Claire Critchell, manager of the Growth Hub Telford & Wrekin, which is delivered by Telford & Wrekin Council, said a sound knowledge of HR and Employment Law was crucial for any business owner.
"The law is the same regardless of the number of employees a business has. Getting things wrong or ‘not knowing what you don’t know’ is not a defence in an Employment Tribunal. An innocent mistake can cost a business thousands of pounds as well as reputational damage, which is why this workshop is so important.
‘It is a must-book event for any small company which does not have its own HR department or which struggles to keep up with changes to employment law."
The free workshop, which starts at 9.15am at the Growth Hub’s base at the University of Wolverhampton Innovation Campus in Priorslee, provides a broad and practical overview of HR and Employment Law issues including:
• ‘Self-employed, worker and employee’ – do you understand the differences, how and when you should use, the contracts that need to be issued and the risks of getting this wrong?
• Holidays – how to calculate them and ensure compliance for part time and zero hours staff
• Discrimination risks and where they can arise from recruitment through to dismissal
• Managing absence – including sickness; and what rights employees have to statutory time off for other absences
• Disciplinary and grievance – how to discipline staff and deal with grievances
• The end of employment – why it happens and how to deal with it
Niamh Kelly is director of the HR Dept Shropshire and has more than 25 years of experience across a range of services and industries.